General Manager - Job Description
Job Title: General Manager – GrayBar Ltd.
Responsible to: UK Group Managing Director
Main Purpose of Post:
- To provide strategic leadership in both the operational and sales development of GrayBar Ltd.
- To work with the GrayBar Sales Manager in developing both existing and new customer relationships within the rail sector
- To manage a dynamic team of staff in the day to day running of a thriving production business
- To have a good working knowledge of the GrayBar product range, particularly including the GrayBar self-regulating points heating system
- To the UK group Managing Director
- To strategic group rail sector companies and their management team
- To GrayBar sales manager
- Accurate monthly financial reporting
- Timely production and delivery of product and project solutions
- Leading the manufacturing team based in Wellingborough
- Strategic sales engagement within Rail infrastructure value chain
- To set KPIs, support and monitor business development within the internal/external sales team
- To identify new potential business and markets for both existing and new product applications
- Technical sales and design consultation (application specific training to be provided)
- Future development of a universal points heating system utilising components and knowledge from within both the local and wider group of NIBE businesses
- Financial oversight and responsibility
- Sales and cost forecasting
- Resource planning
- Overview of ISO and HSE activities to ensure compliance
- Understand and agree key objectives at both local and group company level
- Ensure timely monthly and annual reporting (financial and business planning) to group
- Set clear operational objectives and goals within the GrayBar leadership team
- Be competent (with training where required) in discussing points heating design and specification with Network Rail, senior consultants and contractors to ensure that projects that include points heating are tailored to the benefits of our system designs
- Contribute positively to discussions and debates and participating in shared decision making
- Ensure effective communication including the dissemination of information accurately and timely to support effective team working
- Act at all times as an ambassador for the organisation and maintain positive and effective communication both internally and externally to the organisation
- Produce clear, legible and consistent written documentation as required
Key Working Relationships
- Both strategic and operational working relationship with UK group MD
- Strategic sales engagement with wider group Rail infrastructure manufacturing companies and their management teams
- To have extensive experience of working within the railway industry and ideally specifically with railway track infrastructure
- Experience of working within a sales environment preferably with senior technical sales responsibility
- To have a clear understand of the sales value chain from specification through to order placement
- It would be desirable to have previous experience in having P&L responsibility for a department or organisation
This job description does not attempt to describe all aspects of the role to be performed, but indicates the general role required of the post holder. It is open to review and as a result alterations and additions may be made.
Electrical Engineering Qualification
NHC/HND or equivalent
Qualification in business management.
Engineering based degree.
At least 10 years involvement in the railway industry with both technical and commercial responsibilities.
Experience leading either a department or organisation with sales responsibility.
Experience in the development of business plans.
Project planning and delivery.
Fully IT literate and an intermediate knowledge of the Microsoft Office system, especially Word, Excel, Outlook & Teams.
Evidence of well-practiced communication skills; both verbal, non-verbal and written.
Excellent time management and ability to multitask.
Highly accurate data entry skills with great attention to detail.
Proven ability of organisation skills.
Training and supporting others.
Coaching and mentoring.
Analytical and problem-solving skills.
Excellent presentation skills.
Accountable for self and actions.
A positive, can-do attitude.
Calm and objective under pressure.
Flexible approach to work.
Recognition of own limitations.
Recognition of own limitations.
Demonstrable commitment towards own continuous professional development.